We built this progressive new curriculum with the thought leaders at Shopbot, Vectric, & Autodesk specifically for artists and craftspeople. Our new courses are designed to help you realize your creative potential and give you the tools to achieve independent economic viability as a craftsperson. The new curriculum will be taught in four components:
- Introductory Series Course in CNC
- Immersion Courses in Advanced Design & CNC Study
- Immersion Course in the Business of the 21st Century Craftperson
- the NCFS ACCESS program.
NCFS ACCESS provides you with vital access to the advanced machinery and expert instruction at the intersection of fine craft and entrepreneurship. This means that you will be able to apply your learning at every level with guidance in our shop. Because NCFS is a school and not a Maker Space, our ACCESS NCFS Lab Hours are focused on your learning, with the same instructors that teach your classes. We are committed to helping you apply your learning with skill and purpose to develop your ideas to the fullest. ACCESS NCFS will be extended to participants in limited numbers so we can maintain a very high bar for your learning experience.
The North Carolina Furniture School has four 3 axis CNC machines that will all be available during ACCESS NCFS lab hours. Two of our machines feature a 4th rotary axis and end milling for dramatically expanded design possibilities. One of our machines is portable, so it can be taken to the material for local machining. ACCESS NCFS lab hours will be $20/hour per person.
If you would like to participate in the ACCESS NCFS program please let us know. Below are the basic requirements for eligibility:
- Membership in the NCFS Woodturners Club and attend at least one meeting per quarter (yes, even if you are not a woodturner). Our club is the best way to exchange ideas and communicate with other people engaged together as makers within the NCFS community.
- satisfactorily complete all three levels of the Introduction to Digital Fabrication Course to achieve NCFS Operator Certification
- provide your own computer with NCFS-approved software to create your drawings and designs.
- supply your own NCFS-approved bits for your personal use on the machines. We will have premium individual bits and bit kits for sale
- supply your own NCFS-approved materials and consumables for projects. We will have some materials available for purchase and custom orders are available with one week advance notice and pre-payment.
- all project work must be completed within the specified NCFS Lab Hours, work area must be thoroughly cleaned on work days.
*complex projects requiring multiple work sessions must be designed in such a manner that parts can be machined in single sessions, so other makers will have access to the equipment. These types of projects require NCFS approval prior to beginning.
- NCFS will not store projects or project materials for makers, they must be transported to and from NCFS Lab Hours.